Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Horse Camp 2010

   Our last week of summer camp was Horse Camp for fourth, sixth, and seventh graders. Out of all the camps at JBRC Horse Camp is one of my favorites. Because of the limited number of campers {usually around 20} the week is much more personal and intimate. It's a good chance to really get to know some of the campers rather that only seeing them for an hour or two. It's neat to see the same campers come year after year and watch them as they grow.


   On the first day, after everyone gets here, we go to the barn and get some basic safety rules.







   I think he may have been trying a new method of riding double...I think I'll stick to the old way : )


  One of the days, Josh Morris came and gave the campers a farrier demonstration. He taught them about horse's feet and how to keep them healthy.











  
We played some horseback games that taught riding skills at the same time. One of the games was riding blindfolded with a friend guiding you.









There was also a game where the campers had to balance a tennis ball on the racket while maneuvering their horse around an obstacle and back. A couple of the campers even bounced their balls! Now that's talent there.





  
   Next post we'll see going to the creek and some other riding activities that we did. Hope you enjoy a peek into a JBRC Horse Camp!  Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Looks like fun! Is that Flash in the top pictures? Your horses sure look good. And well behaved, too.

~Jill

Amanda said...

Out of everything I have seen with camp, I can very easily see how Horse Camp is your favorite. :) I can't wait until you post the sequels!
By the way, I love the first picture in the farrier sequence.

Rachel. said...

Your right Jill, that is Flash. He is very cooperative. They sure put him through a lot that week.
Thanks Amanda. I knew if I mentioned follow up posts I would be held to it :) I'll {hopefully} have it all done in the next few days.

Joe said...

Looking forward to the next post, friend!
:)