Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A New Project

   One thing I really enjoy is cooking. Not that eating has anything to do with that. I'm kidding, it totally does. What can I say? I was born and raised in the south. I hope to occasionally share some of the recipes that my family loves and new things that I try out. So to start that project off, today I want to share the recipe for Pepper Poppers. These things are delicious!





You will need :

        ~ 18 jalapeno peppers
        ~ one 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
        ~ 1 cup grated cheddar cheese/pepper jack if you like 'em hot
        ~ about 1 chopped green onion
        ~ 18 slices bacon, cut in half
        ~ barbecue sauce
        ~ toothpicks  
        ~ rubber gloves!

    Please, whatever you do, don't fail to wear rubber gloves when preparing these peppers. You might be tough. You might not think you'll rub your eyes. Trust me, it's worth the trouble to find some!

       Preheat oven to 275 degrees

       First, slice the peppers in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out. Try to keep the stems on the peppers and cut them in half also. In the end they look very nice this way. Next, either in a mixer or by hand combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onions. Fill each jalapeno half level with the cream cheese mixture and wrap each half with bacon. Secure the bacon with a toothpick. Rub peppers with barbecue sauce. Place on a baking pan and bake for 1 hour or until the bacon is done.

       If you don't like bacon, these can easily be made without it, but in my humble opinion they are not nearly as good that way. We use Sonny's sweet barbecue sauce from Sam's Club and it really adds to the flavor. Also, I bake mine on a cooling rack so they are not sitting in the grease that cooks out of the bacon.

       The original recipe, which is not quite the same as the one I use, came from The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook by Ree Drummond. I received this cookbook as a Christmas present and unfortunately haven't been able to try very many recipes from it yet. The ones I have tried were delicious! Most definitely not low-cal, but good all the same.

    3 comments:

    Joe said...

    I like this the strong contrast from this picture. Did you light it off-camera?

    Rachel. said...

    I did. I bounced my flash using "the black foamie thing". I just made myself one and have liked the results I've gotten so far. Here is the link:

    http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/2009/11/21/the-black-foamie-thing/

    Rachel. said...

    Sorry, I lied. I didn't use off-camera lighting, it was bounced. I said two different things. It seemed like off-camera.