Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shallow Depth-of Field

   For about the past week, The Pioneer Woman has been posting lessons about shutter speed, aperture, and depth of field. After her last discussion on aperture, she challenged her {massive amount of} readers with an assignment. The assignment is to use the knowledge about aperture to create photos displaying shallow depth-of field and submit them to her Flickr group. She frequently has assignments and contests and always has good prizes for the winners.

   Inspired, I went out today to take some shallow depth of field pictures of my own. Pictures with shallow depth of field are one of my favorite kinds to take. I actually have to make myself change the aperture off of wide open. Here's a look at some of the things I came up with.

 


  


  


  


  


   The contest goes until February 15th so go take some of your own and enter the contest. You just might win! To see all submissions and enter go to: www.flickr.com/groups/pwphotoassignments/
   Leave a comment and tell me which of these photos you like best. If you don't really like any of them you can say that, too. It's okay, critical criticism can be a good thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, I can't believe you've been holdin out on me! My favorites are the spurs on the hay, the yellow flowers, the tree. They are all great.

Joy said...

I liked all of the pictures, but my favorite is "Vine."

I enjoyed reading your blog this morning. I am very interested in photography and want to learn more...someday. Maybe you could help me.

Ms. Joy

Rachel. said...

Thanks Ms. Joy. I'm so glad to hear from you. I don't know how much I could teach you, but I would be glad to try.